Be careful of your thoughts, they may become words at any moment. ~Iara Gassen

Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Tale of One City....!

‘You will have to go to Kolkata for about a month’. I still remember my manager’s words. ‘You will have to leave on Monday’. ‘OK sir’ was the only thing that came out of my mouth, although a million thoughts were lurking in my mind.


As said, on Monday, I left Pune for Kolkata. My mind still caught in the cobweb of memories of my new home, Pune. It was a mixed feeling. The excitement of venturing in an unknown territory and the pain of leaving behind my own backyard. The prospect of roaming in the streets of Kolkata was as attractive as riding aimlessly on the roads of Pune. But I convinced myself that it would suit me if I spend some time in Kolkata, as if to re-emphasize the fact that actually I had no other choice. And pretty soon I realized that no journey carries one far unless, as it extends into the world around us, it goes an equal distance into the world within.

The moment I got convinced, a different set of questions started poking their heads on my just smoothened mind. What has Kolkata in store for me? How will be the people there? How will be the work environment? Although I had been to Kolkata once during my college tour, this was the first time on my own. I tried to recollect memories of Kolkata during my last visit. The first thing that came to mind was the beautiful Victoria Museum, and the Science city. I instantly felt a bit relieved.

I was warmly welcomed by my colleagues and was made to feel at home. Somehow I did not feel even a bit uncomfortable. I was told as to what my task would be till I was there. And so it was clear to me that the faster I finish my task, the sooner I would be able to go back.

Now my mind shifted to the exploration of the new species and spaces around me. Having spent a lot of time in Mumbai, I do tend to prefer public transport. So as usual I decided to take a bus to my office. But no sooner had I decided to board a bus, I found that taking an auto would be faster and cheaper. I could understand why it would be faster, but I was amused by the fact that it would be cheaper. And pretty soon I came to know that autos always go on sharing bases. The autos in Kolkata are no different than a bus apart from the size and capacity. They have a fixed destination. They pick and drop people on the way and charge them as per the distance they have traveled. Amazing..!!

What’s even more amazing is that a normal rikshaw auto, carries 6 passengers at a time(Excluding the driver). That is, 3 at the back and 3 infront, along with the driver. If you look at a fully loaded auto from the front, you will surely get confused as to who is actually driving. Looking at it, always reminds me of the Fevicol advertisement. And somehow this imaginary fevicol has bonded me to this city.


Once I boarded an auto in which I had to sit in front with the driver. I had my Laptop backpack with me and I was having trouble holding it, a fellow sitting behind said something in Bengali. Though I don’t understand Bengali, I was sure he was offering to hold my bag for me and feeling relieved, I gave it to him. The relief was not because I got away with the bag, but because I realized that people here are as good and helpful as the city. I was relieved realizing the fact that I would enjoy my stay here thoroughly.


Two weeks have passed since my arrival here in Kolkata, and I am already feeling as if I have been here for a long time. Not because I am longing to go back, but because I am made to feel homely within no time.


There is one more reason why I am feeling at home here is the food. The food you get here is excellent. The rice and fish you get here makes me feel as if I never left Goa. Not to forget the sweetest of dishes in the name of Rasgulla, Chamcham and Rasmalai. Just too good.


I still have some more days to spend here in Kolkata, which I would prefer to roam around and try to explore the very beauty of it. I am still looking forward to visit the Victoria Museum and Science city again. I am also relishing the prospect of going and watching an IPL match at the Eden Gardens.


I have been to almost all other cities of India, but no words can adequately do justice as to how beautiful and attractive Kolkata is. Coming here, I have realized one thing, that there is something about this city which will make you feel that you are a part of it. As if it has stamped its sense of belonging on my heart. Once you have visited this charming city, no matter where you go after that, it will always leave a mark on you, which will make you come back here again and again.


I am sure while going back to Pune, I will again be surrounded by similar feelings which I felt while coming to Kolkata. That I have to leave this beautiful city and go back to Pune. But this time around, the feeling would be a mix of leaving one backyard for another…!!!

19 comments:

  1. Very nicely written...exactly wat 1 feels wen he has to shift to anothr place...
    And how many places is ur job sending u ?
    Hadnt u been to chennai recently ??

    Anyways...keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written Vaibhav...! Have heard of the life of people of Kolkata.. Very similar to ours.. No doubt the place is to fall for.. Enjoy,.. and keep writing, so that we too get the feel of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice writing bro...

    Actually i ve one suggestion here...looking at the num of cities u ve travelled in the past year y dont you exclusively maintain this blog only for ur experiences of diff cities in India??

    U may start another blog for displaying ur poetic aspiration..which i ve no doubt would be one to watch out for!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome written yar!!!!!
    Actually i think u should be writter...
    keep writtin dear !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey this is something new quality in u that i have known,ur simply gr8.....i mean how can u manage to do so many things...the blog is written so well that any 1 redin this will actually feel experiencing kolkata once.....i cant write as gud as u...n after reading this m falling short of words.....Keep writing!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. aur Dada khub bhalo chol che...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post. Ive always been fascinated with Kolkota, but never had a chance to be there. The lifestyle is simple but elegant. Although its kindda weird to see the sun setting at 5pm. Just one question though - why the title Serendipity? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely compiled Vaibhav.
    Its realy short and sweet,however at the same time it gives a good feeling of taking to the gullies,Auto rickshaws and people of kolkata.
    I have been to kolkata and truely its a good place for stay!!
    Enjoi..catch u up soon in ur old backyard"PUNE"!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey very well written, it expresses the feelings when u leave a place u so attached to and the excitement of goin to a new one...

    ReplyDelete
  10. think u r going to be a story teller in future...

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow bro rightly described the tale of the city of joy..being there for almost close to 2 years , i can identify with all the things n places u described..good man keep up d good work..dada ammi kolkata miss karo che..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Each city has its unique features comprising of the people, living, buildings, lifestyle, food culture, and you have captured these features nicely in your blog. Keep writing about the cities you visit. I like the way you described the typical rickshawala and the sweets from kolkata. I think you missed out on tram, do write about that as well. :) keep writing dood

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very well compiled bro…. If this place can make you scribble this good about her then
    Kolkata is up on my list…

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shabbir -> Well written! Keep new posts coming, want to hear about Chennai, Ahmedabad and Punjab trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. U will definitely be a good story teller to ur childrens.........
    And they will never forget ur stories....

    I too have been to Kolkata but now I am realizing that what minute things I missed out of this beautiful city
    Keep writing ur further experiences....anxious to read ur further experience

    ReplyDelete
  16. excellent Vaibhav!! very well captured... keep writing dude!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow.. always knw ders a writer hidden in dis guy.. but this one is par -de-excellent .. reminded me abt the same feelin dat surrounded me whn i had to shift to delhi from my home town goa... but the only difference is m still to like this place :P...
    nyways all in all a gr8 literature bud.. keep up the work.. hope to read more from u..

    ReplyDelete
  18. The words that touch another's heart must come from deep within your own... :)

    Can't escape the nostalgia that seems to flow through your words...

    What you did not write here was written all over your face when i met you as soon as you had returned....

    Hope life takes you on many such wonderful journeys, so that you may share with us the joys of being a chronic traveller :)

    ReplyDelete